I have created a green pea soup that is reminiscent of the mushy peas I loved so in Ireland. Peas are a great source of B vitamins, vitamin K, manganese, fiber, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory. This soup is also vegan and gluten free. Plus, the beautiful green color is perfect for spring!
Spring Pea Soup
(Makes 4-6 servings)
- 2.5 cups green peas, frozen or fresh
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1-2 T grape seed oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 leak, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small container of plain coconut milk Greek yogurt
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot once oil is hot. Cook for about 2 minutes
- Add the leaks. Cook for about 5 minutes more, or until onion is translucent.
- Add in potatoes and peas. Stir to mix well. Add vegetable broth, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Once potatoes are soft, soup should be cooked long enough. Taste soup to decide if you need any salt and pepper. I added a few cracks of fresh pepper and just a dash of sea salt. Remove thyme from the stem and add to soup.
- Remove pot from heat. Add in the coconut Greek yogurt. Using either and immersion blender or regular blender, blend soup until smooth. If using regular blender, be sure to to in a few batches, so that the blender is not too full.
- Serve and enjoy!