Roasted Carrot & Ginger Soup
- 3 cups of carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 lb.)
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- the juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons of oil (avocado or coconut), divided
- salt and peper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss chopped carrots with 1 tablespoon of oil and a little salt and pepper. Spread carrots evenly onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven until tender (about 20 minutes).
- While carrots are roasting, add 1 tablespoon of oil to your soup pot. Cook the shallot over medium heat until lightly translucent (about 4-5 minutes). Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute more).
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and stir. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to help remove bits that may have stuck to the bottom.
- From here you have two choice. A) Once the carrots are cooked thoroughly, place them along with the vegetable stock, shallots, ginger and garlic into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Return mixture to your soup pot. This is how I like to prepare this soup because I love the smooth texture my Vitamix give the soup. OR B) Once the carrots are complete, add them to your soup pot. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Add your coconut milk and lemon juice to your carrot mixture. Bring to a light boil, stirring well, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste soup and add any additional salt and pepper you may need. Serve with your favorite toppings- hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, toasted pistachios, or croutons.