Amaranth is not something that grew up eating. In fact, it wasn't until a few years ago that I actually had it for the first time. Most often I've seen amaranth in cereal, muffins, pancakes, and other breads, but I was determined to use it in a different way. That's how this stir fried amaranth recipe was created.
Pineapple & Veggie Stir Fried Amaranth
(makes 5-6 servings)
- 1 cup amaranth
- 1¾ cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 ½ -2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups chard, chopped & stems removed
- ¾ cup fresh pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1-2 carrots, spiralized or grated
- ¼ cup cashews coarsely chopped
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons tamari
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a saucepan, bring vegetable broth (or water) and amaranth to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- In a large wok, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once hot add garlic, ginger, and green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- Add broccoli and carrots to the wok and stir to combine. Cover wok for 2 minutes or so allowing the veggies to steam.
- Remove lid from wok and give the veggies a good stir. Add pineapple, cashews, and chard. Continue stirring and cooking until the chard just beings to wilt.
- Add in the amaranth and stir to combine. The add crushed red pepper (if using) and tamari and stir once more.
- Cook mixture a couple more minutes to allow all liquid to be absorbed and amaranth a chance to brown slightly.
- Place in serving bowls and top with cilantro and additional green onions if you like
- You can use regular soy sauce if you do not have tamari. Keep in mind soy sauce is not gluten free
- I had rainbow chard on hand but other greens such as kale or spinach would be a fine substitute.
- I did let my peas thaw slightly but they can be used straight from the freezer