Creamy Corn Chowder
(makes about 6 servings)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag frozen corn (organic,non-gmo), thawed
- 3 medium Idaho potatoes, cut into cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
- Soak raw cashews for two hours. Drain and add cashews to high-speed blender. Add one cup of water and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minutes more.
- Add vegetable broth and potatoes, and bring to a boil. Allow potatoes to boil for about 8 minutes.
- Add corn to the soup and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add cashew cream to the soup, along with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for for 5-8 minutes more. Stir occasionally to prevent soup from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Give soup a taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve and enjoy!