Bananas in bread is no surprise. It’s the avocado that makes this combo a bit weird. What’s great about using an avocado though, is you do not have to use any oil. In addition to no oil, this bread is also made free of gluten, refined sugar and dairy/animal products. The only not so healthy side of this recipe is the use of chocolate chips, which is optional (but strongly recommended!). The way I see it though, chocolate is an excellent source of magnesium and provides antioxidants, so the ½ cup of chocolate used is a healthy boost :-). Give it a try for yourself!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- ½ ripe avocado
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free all purpose flour
- ¼ c cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup of your favorite chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar
- In a medium sized bowl, add all dry ingredients- flour, cacao powder, cinnamon, salt, and coconut sugar. Using a whisk or a fork, mix items together, breaking up any clumps that you see. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add your avocado, 2 of your bananas and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Add the other 2 bananas and pulse until mostly smooth, but leaving some texture (I like to have pieces of banana in my bread. If you do not, you can blend until smooth.). Add your flax eggs and gently stir into your wet mixture using a spoon.
- Add your wet mixture to your dry mixture and stir well. Once fully combined, fold in your chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x5 loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven for 50-60 minutes. Use a toothpick or skewer to check for doneness.
- Allow bread to cool completely in pan, on a cooling rack, before slicing.
*Recipe adapted from Food Network's Chocolate-Avocado Banana Bread.