For this salad, I kept it pretty simple as far as the veggies go. I used some of the items I picked up at the farmer's market over the weekend. It is delicious as is, but would also be tasty with some red cabbage, edamame, and fresh cilantro.
As for the noodles, I've been eyeing the brown rice and millet ramen at Costco for months now, but never really felt inspired to buy a bulk size bag of noodles. One day, in a moment of hunger stricken weakness, I caved and bought them. These noodles are gluten free and have a really lovely texture. Plus, millet provides great protein that you won't find in traditional wheat noodles.
I hope you enjoy my spin on an Asian noodle salad. Try it as is or use this as a guideline to make it your own. Enjoy!
Asian Noodle Salad with Turmeric Toasted Almonds
For the salad:
- 4 cakes of ramen noodles (about 10 oz of noodles)
- 1 large cucumber, spiralized or cut into matchsitcks
- 1 large carrot, spiralized or cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (I used both black and white seeds)
- Mixed greens
(makes about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup tamari (I used low sodium)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 2/3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl (or mason jar with lid) add almonds, coconut oil, turmeric, salt and cayenne. Stir well to coat almonds. Spread coated almonds in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them as almonds will quickly burn. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Prepare noodles according to package. Drain, rinse in cold water, and set aside to drain again.
- Once noodles are well drained, toss them into a large bowl. Add your prepared veggies and sesame seeds to the bowl (all veggies but the mixed greens). Gently mix to distribute veggies evenly with the noodles (use your hands to mix. It's easier). Add 1/2 -3/4 cup of dressing and toss again.
- To serve: If you are eating the salad right away you can toss the mixed greens with some of the reserved dressing and then plate. If you are only eating one portion at a time, only dress the greens that you plan to use at that time. Add a portion of noodles to each bed of greens and sprinkle with turmeric noodles. Enjoy!